Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Mini Egg White Fritatas

As most of you know, we are hungry people.  I have started making egg white mini fritatas again, as I did when I was training for the marathon last year.  Luckily, they have not induced PTSD.  Yet.
They are super easy to make and a good way to add a lean protein to your breakfast or for a snack.  Jim crumbles his over his oatmeal in the morning and tops all of it with salsa.

Mini Egg White Fritatas

Ingredients:

One container egg whites (I buy Trader Joe's 16 oz cage free) or the equivalent in egg whites (a great way to use any yolks to use in aiolis!)
Any fillers you want!  Last week I heated up a cup of frozen spinach and diced a tomato.  I have also use broccoli, onion, etc., etc.Shredded cheese (optional)
Crushed Red Pepper

Preheat oven to 425

Line muffin tin with liners (if you opt to not use liners, you'll have quite an annoying clean up!)
Divide veggie fillers evenly among cups
Divide egg whites evenly among cups
Sprinkle with cheese and crushed red pepper

Bake for 15 minutes or until egg whites have set.

Keep in fridge and enjoy!

I noticed on 100 Days of Real Food that they reposted their mini pledges for the year.  They are great reminders and ideas for eating for 2014!  One of my goals is to eat less sweeteners.  I try to never eat artificial sweeteners (unless I'm cornered or hoodwinked) but I feel I could even reduce the amount of real sugar in my diet.  On that note, I'll probably bake a large pan of brownies in the next week.  Yolo, I guess.  (Sorry,  pancreas.)

My other issue: no deep fried foods is on the list.  Ha!

No comments: