Sunday, April 27, 2014

Entertainment and Lifestyle

Our weekend entertainment has evolved in the ten years since I met my wonderful husband, and I'm not complaining one bit.  When we first met, it was quite normal for us to start our evening at the bar at 10pm.  That now sounds like my worst nightmare.  We try not to eat out very often, so we often make lovely dinners at home and rent/ stream movies on weekends.  Last night, for instance, Jim made a homemade Caesar salad (complete with homemade croutons) for dinner and we watched Mud.  (I'm confident it was better than any Caesar salad we could have purchased at a restaurant and was made with organic lettuce and chicken.)   Maybe I'm a homebody, but I'm totally okay with that.  

I realized that it's been one year since I ran the marathon.  With the change of weather, I have been loving running all over again.  We discovered some new park district paths that are great to run on.  I haven't yet found a "running buddy" here as I had in Eugene, but that's okay.  I don't even run with my ipod these days and try to think of it more like a meditation while running.  Being along with my thoughts is a scary thing, but good for me.  My right knee still bothers me at times, but I guess that's the price you pay for running five hours without stopping.  I've been trying to work on running at a faster pace for a shorter period of time.  I love the feeling of how tired I get from a really good run.  If I don't run outdoors, I still continue to go to the gym or do yoga almost every day.  I'm lucky that my partner tries to be fit and healthy too, which is a great motivation.  

We continue our goal to eat less sugar and meat throughout the week.  Sugar: how I love you!  I sweeten our "everyday" snacks like granola bars and muffins with honey.  As the weather gets warmer, I LOVE coconut ice cream.  We both have major sweet tooths (teeth??) and I do love to bake.  But man do I want some frozen custard and cookies!!  We are also down to red meat once a week or less, and veggie meals twice a week or so.  Hopefully we'll still be jogging when we're 99.  

(I am now going to try to not eat the chocolate chips in my freezer and get ready for my beef tacos for dinner.)

No comments: