Monday, April 7, 2014

Shrimp and Avocado Salad

I feel like Monday is the day of the week that I want to eat the healthiest meal.  The week gets progressively less healthy until the next weekend, when it's time to indulge.  I also get home earlier on Monday, so I am usually up for trying a new or more complex recipe.  Tonight I am making Giada's Shrimp and Avocado salad over quinoa.  The "Frico" chips online were not a part of the cookbook recipe, so they were not included.  (Have you ever heard of Frico chips?  I have not.)

Now that I think about it, tomorrow is not the second healthiest day of my meal week this week.  I've prepared Ina's turkey lasagna to be thrown in the oven tomorrow.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I usually get home around 9pm, so I try to leave some easier things for my lovely husband to make.  If only we had a personal chef.  Who would clean our house.

This lasagna recipe did remind me of a little kitchen tip: saving tomato paste.  I hate buying a whole can (even though it's a tiny can) of tomato paste to only throw it away.  There are also tubes of it at some stores, but I still end up throwing most of those away.  I have started dividing the can up in tablespoons and freezing them.  Then I just throw in as much as I need for the recipe.  I do the same thing with cans of chipotle peppers.


No comments: